Associate Partner | Corporate
Jeffrey D. Johnstone is a senior attorney with expertise in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, secured lending, private equity and venture capital transactions, securities, and general corporate and commercial law. Jeffrey acts for both publicly listed and private companies in various sectors, high net worth individuals, banking institutions and other participants in the offshore and onshore markets. He is also frequently engaged in transactions involving the captive insurance industry.
Prior to joining Broadhurst LLC, Jeffrey practiced at one of Toronto's premier "Seven Sister" firms. He later co-founded a corporate finance boutique that included Fortune 500 companies in its portfolio of clients.
- Represented the lenders in connection with a multijurisdictional $365,000,000 secured lending transaction.
- Represented the purchaser in connection with the $90,000,000 sale of a controlling interest in a telecommunications company to a NASDAQ-listed company.
- Represented the purchaser in connection with the $80,000,000 million public-private acquisition of a Cayman Islands television broadcasting and cable group.
- Represented NASDAQ-listed software development company as purchaser in $35,000,000 public-private acquisition of an industry-related target.
- Represented the limited partners to the general partner in the structuring of a $100,000,000 private investment fund focused on “brownfield” assets.
- Represented a biomedical fund in numerous equity offerings as part of its Series-B and Series-C rounds of investment.
- Represented emerging technology fund in numerous equity offerings as part of the fund’s Series-A rounds of investment.
- Represented an issuer in the telecommunications industry in connection with numerous convertible debt offerings as part of the issuer’s Series-A and Series-B rounds of financing.
- Represented various offshore participants in multiple joint ventures related to the monetization of ICANN regulated gTLD assets.
- Represented a mining and resource company migrating from its US domicile to the Cayman Islands in connection with the company’s IPO and public listing.
- Represented an NYSE-listed “Fortune 100” company in numerous all cash acquisitions of private company targets related to its growth strategy.
- Represented a heavy machinery manufacturer, tool-and-die manufacturer and other “brick-and-mortar” industry participants in various cross-border enterprise sales and acquisitions.
Education, Professional Achievements and Community Activities
Jeffrey holds his B.A. (Victoria College at the University of Toronto, 1994), M.A. (University of Guelph, 1996) and LL.B (University of Windsor, 1999). Jeffrey was called as a Barrister and Solicitor in Ontario, Canada in 2001 and as an Attorney-at-Law in the Cayman Islands in 2011. Jeffrey is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada (non-practicing) and the Cayman Islands Law Society. Outside of the office, Jeffrey enjoys traditional and sport rock climbing, alpine skiing and adventure travel.