Associate Partner | Corporate
Jeffrey D. Johnstone is a senior attorney with expertise in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, private equity, private client services, securities and corporate and commercial law. Jeffrey regularly acts for publicly listed and private corporations, high net worth individuals, banking institutions and other participants in both the offshore and onshore markets. He is frequently engaged to provide advice respecting private client strategic investments and divestitures, private equity transactions, cross-border mergers and acquisitions and the structuring of creative solutions for corporate debt and equity offerings.
Prior to joining Broadhurst LLC, Jeffrey practiced at one of Toronto's premier "Seven Sister" firms. He later co-founded a corporate finance boutique that included Fortune 500 companies in its portfolio of clients.
- Represented a publicly listed Bermuda based company providing voice, broadband and cable television services in connection with the $90 million sale of a controlling interest to a NASDAQ listed company.
- Represented the purchaser in connection with the $80 million public-private acquisition of a Cayman Islands television broadcasting and cable group.
- Represented an issuer in the telecom space in connection with numerous convertible debt offerings as part of the issuer’s Series-A and Series-B rounds of financing.
- Represented a NASDAQ-listed software development company in public-private stock and cash strategic acquisition.
- Represented private software development and software services company in connection with the structuring of its offshore interests.
- Represented various offshore participants in multiple joint ventures related to the monetization of ICANN regulated gTLD assets.
- Represented private banking institutions in the Cayman Islands in connection with the establishment of secured lending programs and the creation and sale of convertible debt instruments.
- Represented the limited partners to the general partner in the structuring of a $100 million private investment fund focused on “brownfield” assets and their development.
- Represented the general partner in the structuring of a private investment fund focused on emerging technology companies.
- Represented a biomedical fund and an emerging technology fund in numerous equity offerings as part of each fund’s investments in Series-B and Series-C rounds of financing.
- Represented a mining and resource company migrating from its US domicile to the Cayman Islands in connection with the company’s IPO and listing on the TSXV.
- Represented an NYSE-listed “Fortune 100” company in numerous all cash acquisitions of private company targets related to its growth strategy.
- Represented a heavy machinery manufacturer, tool-and-die manufacturer and other “brick-and-mortar” industry participants in various cross-border enterprise sales and acquisitions.
Education, Professional Achievements and Community Activities
Jeffrey holds his B.A. (Victoria College at the University of Toronto, 1994), M.A. (University of Guelph, 1996) and LL.B (University of Windsor, 1999). Jeffrey was called as a Barrister and Solicitor in Ontario, Canada in 2001 and as an Attorney-at-Law in the Cayman Islands in 2011. Jeffrey is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada (non-practicing) and the Law Society of the Cayman Islands. Outside of the office, Jeffrey enjoys traditional and sport rock climbing, alpine skiing and adventure travel.